The idea of creating a League that would include a “colony Alentejo Lisbon” dates back to 1912. However, the first attempt was not successful and the process was only to be restarted about ten years later from the same core of notables who founded the Guild Alentejo on 10 June 1923.
In 1939, under the legislation then in force, the guild had to give up the name of “Guild” and renamed it Casa do Alentejo.
Our house has played throughout his life, an important role for Culture and Associations.
The freedom to its fruitful activity in the cultural, social, welfare and recreational services to the Alentejo in general and in particular those based in Lisbon and the outskirts, keeping a constant liaison with their counterparts in Lisbon, Alentejo and Setúbal.
The cultural events held in the magnificent headquarters were attended by public figures who, for decades, have honored with your presence, which gained them numerous accolades and awards, of which we received the “Grade Officer of the Order of charities “that assigned the Ministry of Education on 29 July 1939.
In 1991 she was recognized as “Tax Public Utility, pursuant to Decree-Law No. 460/77, published in the Official Gazette, Series II, paragraph 7 of 9 January 1999. The Portuguese Federation of Local Culture and Recreation awarded him the “Diploma of Federated on 30 September 1970.
The Association in the present
Activities at the Casa do Alentejo is our contribution to boosting, promotion and preservation of the culture of the Alentejo, acting as a multi-cultural space where they can take various aspects, such as book presentations, poetry sessions, temporary exhibitions, conferences, thematic gastronomic weeks competitions in the areas of arts, literature and photography, exhibitions of handicrafts, weeks devoted to the municipalities of Alentejo, cultural evenings on Saturdays and Sundays social dances.
The momentum developed in recent years has revealed a Casa do Alentejo with an active role in discussion of current problems, assuming its social responsibility to the challenges facing the region.
The intervention of the Casa do Alentejo goes far beyond the physical space in Lisbon, bringing its contribution in the organization of conferences, congresses and cultural events are held periodically in the Alentejo region to develop regional, improving the quality of life of the Alentejo and the preservation of their customs.
Explore the history of the Casa do Alentejo through the book: “The Alentejo Associations in the City of Lisbon in the twentieth century” by Rui Rosado Vieira, house for sale in the Alentejo.
If you or child of Alentejo, ask for a subscription. Bring two photos, photocopy of ID card and go to our Service Department, which run from Monday to Friday from 10 to 19.
Possibly built in the late seventeenth century, the building where today is installed the “Casa do Alentejo” has undergone profound changes in the early twentieth century.
From its earliest history its known that belonged to an aristocratic family – the Paes Amaral (Viscounts of Alverca) – from whom adopted the name and the title of Paes do Amaral Palace or Palace Alverca.
In the early twentieth century (1917-1919) was leased to a company that transformed a part of the old palace in the 1st casino oh Lisbon – the Magestic Club.
The Palace suffered profound adaptation works, under the supervision of architect Silva Júnior, transforming it in the magnificent building that reached the present day.
The Magestic Club is called, years later, “Monumental Club”, always trying to attract customers to its luxurious gaming rooms or the lavish parties that took place in the beautiful Mirror Room.
In 1928 was already closed this phase of the building’s life. In 1932 it was leased to the Alentejo Guild, later called – Casa do Alentejo – becoming the headquarters of the Regionalist Alentejo Association.
In 1981 it was acquired from the descendants of Paes de Amaral family , becaming heritage of all Alentejo.
Find more information on the history of Alverca Palace in “CA Notebook, paragraph 1″, designed by the architect Alves Coelho, on sale at the Casa do Alentejo.